Saturday, August 7, 2010

About

"Not really a pirate or a penguin but a girl who has a lot of time on her hands and an endless thirst for literature..." --Sandy a.k.a. Pirate Penguin

The girl behind the blog:
If you haven't guessed by now, I'll spoil it for you: I am not, in fact, a penguin or a swash-buckling pirate. Instead I'm in my twenties and a graduate from university with a double bachelors in linguistics and Hispanic language and literature. In 2015, I will be going back to school to pursue library science at the graduate level (and I'm so flipping excited!!!).

Academics aside, I have always loved to read. I waste any free time I have in a library or bookstore and if I have any spare money it's a guarantee that I'll spend it on books. (Pfft, who needs new clothes? Or food?) My wishlist is forever growing thanks to the internet and the friends I've made through the blogosphere :)

Over the years, I've learned what kind of blogger I am and now that I've found my own style, I just blog how I please. If you're reading this, I hope you like my little blog and that you stick around ♥

Other interests/hobbies outside of reading: 
  • drawing 
  • writing
  • playing with my puppy
  • belly dancing
  • translation 
  • origami (I'm still a newbie though--I love making lucky stars!)
  • playing the violin (decently) 
  • watching tv shows (Orphan Black is my current obsession) 
  • watching movies 
  • anime/manga 
  • traveling (so far I've been to Chile & Spain!)

The blog:
My story is very simple. I've blogged on and off but I was intrigued one day when I started finding the few book blogs that existed in the past and on a whim I decided that I wanted to try my hand at book blogging. So in March 2009, Pirate Penguin's Reads was born so I could have my own virtual spot to chat and fangirl about the books I read. I adore young adult literature but I've since explored other genres such as romance, urban fantasy, fantasy and historical fiction. Sometimes I write quick movie recommendations and sometimes I even get the opportunity to host authors on my blog--whether it's an interview or a guest post. It's very fun :)

I'm also a honorary member of a super awesome, invite-only book club called the YAckers. Our conversations are full of snark, witty banter and fangirling. I highly recommend that you check us out. ;) And if that doesn't make you want to check us out, here's another tidbit of info: we have a royal court. Yes, you read that right!

I'm also registered at the YA Book Blog Directory and The YA Blogosphere.