Monday, March 28, 2011

Mini-review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Release Date: March 2nd, 2010
Source: My lovely book fairy (thank you!)
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
I know I'm late to the party but better late than NEVER, right? I've had Hex Hall sitting on my shelf for months, patiently waiting for me to read it and I finally got around to it last week. I want to kick myself for taking so long to dive into Rachel Hawkins' debut!

Hex Hall is a fun frolic of a book. And Sophie! Hah, I loved this girl. Her voice really made the story--she's sarcastic, vivacious and has quite the mischievious streak. Sophie's never out in the clear and she does walk into some pretty awkward moments (which is sometimes bad for her but oh so funny for us readers). But make no mistake, there's some serious stuff that Sophie has to deal with so it's not always fun and games. Hawkins manages to handle the weighty issues that Sophie must undertake with a smooth, deliberate hand but she's good at making us forget (temporarily, at least) by writing some awesomely funny and heartwarming scenes.

Final Verdict: Psh, hell yeah you should read this! I'm SO glad I finally got around to reading this fantabulous book* and if I can convince at least one other person to PICK THIS BOOK UP NOW, then I'll be happy. Hawkins' writing is really addictive and Sophie is a hilarious character. PLUS there's this really cool vampire named Jenna who likes pink and this insanely intriguing guy named Archer who.... oh, I'll just let you find out for yourself. ;)

Clickables: {main site} {twitter} {blog}

*I always read great books when I'm busy with school OR when I think I'll only read a few pages and then I get sucked in. It's a teasing type of curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment