Monday, January 10, 2011

In My Mailbox 35 (or should it be in my suitcase?)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme where you get to show off all the cool books you receive! This meme was inspired by Alea and memefied by Kristi.

Wow, I haven't done an IMM post since September! Since that last IMM and then my hiatus, I didn't receive all that much in between September and November; but then some packages came around mid-December. I was fortunate enough to be able to intercept them at my mailbox before the holiday season came because around that time I actually went on a trip.... to Spain! :) It was my first time going anywhere during the holidays and for 2010's Christmas and New Year's, I spent them with my family. It was wonderful. <3

And I'd love to do it again for 2011. Most people I know have the opportunity of spending holidays, birthdays and other important dates with family members but since the majority of my family live in two different countries, it's difficult for me to see them, much less hang out with them (especially for those important times). But with a little bit of luck, cash and some planning, my mother and I were able to go to Spain and we had a fantastic time. I ate so much that I'm not sure how I'm still fitting into my jeans (it's magic!), I was surrounded by FAMILY, I visited many historical museums (I even went to a haunted castle! (no ghost sightings though)) and yes, I saw a lot of cute european boys and GAH, it was EUROPE! I felt more at home there than I do here in New York.

The only bummer was that the books there are extremely expensive. I'm spoiled by the 50% off sales that can be found at Borders and Barnes & Noble. BUT I was determined to buy at least one spanish book and it HAD to be YA. So I bought Kerstin Gier's Rubí which is a.) young adult b.) romantic and c.) has time traveling in it! :D I thought that'd be the only book I would take home with me but then my aunt surprised me with a few other books! Here they are:

SPANISH BOOKS! *HUGGLES*
 My aunt has good timing: I've been wanting to read mysteries and isn't Agatha Christie known for being the queen of that genre?? She also gave me this beautiful book that dicusses China and its evolution as one of the "great civilizations" as well as Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa which is a memoir written under a pseudonym from a Danish baroness. 

I love the sound they make when they move!

My mom also surprised me by giving me two bellydancing sashes on New Year's Eve. If you didn't know already, I'm fascinated by bellydancing and I'm very intent on learning how.
Two more books! One is a book of poems from a famous spanish poet and the other is a historical nonfiction. I also bought this 3-D paper town depicting the town of Orihuela, Spain (which is where that famous poet is from!) ALSO. This adorable blue penguin you see over to your right? My fellow blogger and amazing friend Kim sent it to me along with this cute card. I went nuts over the penguin. (I totally took it to Spain with me) I always joked that if she could find a blue penguin plushie, she'd make me really happy. I never imagined she'd actually find one! So THANK YOU KIM! :) Your ninja skills went up three levels xD


Now for actual blog-related books:


Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (Bought this one because after reading the author's guest post on Jenny's site, I was so curious to meet the characters!)
Clarity by Kim Harrington (For review. It finally arrived today!)
The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (Won from goodreads. This was a total surprise to get in the mail...)
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (from my kind book fairy. Thank you, BF!)
Losing Faith by Denise Jaden (From a trade with Bri. Thank you!)

PHEW. This post took a while to assemble, haha. This is what I've gotten since I've been away :) Now I'm going to go flex my writing muscles by cranking out a review; it's nice to be back blogging and I think 2011 will be an even better year blogging-wise and in general.

By the way, my awesome, blue-penguin-giving friend Kim is hosting a giveaway for an ARC of CLARITY. You should totally enter ;) And read her review where she describes her reading journey with GIFs!


No comments:

Post a Comment