Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Five

1.) I'm starting to appreciate my global contemporary literature class despite the fact that my professor drives me insane. (I'm not a fan of her teaching methods)

2.) I love that despite leaving assignments and research papers until the very last minute, I always get it done hours before class starts and I somehow always get a good grade. (3AM is my magical time, I suspect)

3.) I'm gifting my friend with the entire Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray*. Hopefully she'll enjoy the books as much as I did :)

4.) I keep donating books to my library but I feel awkward since I come with a BAG. Not one or two books but an entire bag--I just tell myself not to be embarrassed but I can see the librarians looking at me funny.

 5.) I finished one of the required books-to-read for my geography class. It wasn't the best book ever, but I found a lot of things to like about it. There were a lot of quotes I liked but this one in particular jumped out at me:

"One result of this freewheeling attitude is that Icelandic artists produce a lot of crap. They're the first to admit it. But crap plays an important role in the art world. In fact, it plays exactly the same role as it does in the farming world. It's fertilizer. The crap allows the good stuff to grow. You can't have one without the other." -pg 163 of The Geography of Bliss
Crap is fertilizer and allows stuff to grow. How absolutely true that is! It's applicable to anything really (the whole "practice makes perfect" notion) but since I always think about writing... I find that metaphor to be a perfect fit. No wonder writers and authors tell you to allow yourself to suck during the first draft, lol.
  

*Has anyone else read it? And did anyone cry furiously at the ending as I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment