Saturday, April 13, 2013

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Publisher: Random House Books
Source: E-branch from my public library
Release Date: July 2nd, 2012
 
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.
 
Review: Oh my goodness, you guys you have to read this one DON'T IGNORE IT LISTEN TO ME. Especially if I'm screaming out into the internet IN CAPS.   
 
First things first. Rachel Hartman deserves an award for the world-building in this book. All the details you can imagine about constructing a fictional world--the people, the politics, the places--it's all there and Hartman did a fantastic job in making Goredd come alive with rich writing. Speaking of her writing, can I just roll around in all her pretty words and let the ink soak into my skin? Hartman absolutely dazzled me with her writing talent.
 
Now to Seraphina: I loved her character. She has so much to lose, and she's very cautious but trouble still manages to find her wherever she goes. Instead of shrinking away from her problems though she faces them however way she can and you have to admire her for that. Along with being careful, she's very intelligent and is brimming with potential. She learns to fight for what she wants and wholly embraces herself. :') Another detail that I really enjoyed about Seraphina was the focus Hartman placed on Seraphina's relationship with her family--her father, a distant man who taught her to be cautious but obviously loves his daughter and cares for her welfare. Then there is Orma, Seraphina's uncle who was one of my favorite characters. Being a dragon himself, he never understood how his sister could fall in love with a human but knowing that a child resulted from his sister's "indiscretion", Orma decides to participate in Seraphina's upbringing. Dragons are known to transfer their personalities and habits into their human forms but throughout the story the reader can witness Orma's gradual humanization. Hartman did this so well, and it was heartwarming.
 
I also really liked how Hartman dealt with memory in the novel. Seraphina's mother was able to leave her memories with her daughter and sometimes Seraphina is able to view them but at a cost. Seraphina also exhibits some exciting powers that may have a huge role later in the sequel and it's going to be something good! I can't wait! >:D I must also say, there's a little bit of a romance sparking here and it's done very well. It's gradual, a slow burn kind of romance so for anyone who's a fan of those....Seraphina delivers some of that as well.  
 
Final Verdict: Do not make the mistake I made in waiting so long to read this one. It's a gem, and a shelf keeper. It's the kind of high fantasy novel that I've been aching to read and OH SO GOOD. The world-building is intricate, the characters are all fully fleshed out, the stakes are high and Seraphina is one kickass dragon lady. I can't wait for the sequel because I know it's going to be epic. Highly recommended. So much that it gets a gold star from me and a freaking A+ 
Clickables: {main site}  {twitter}





8 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I've been allowing the cover to detour me. I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover didn't strike me as amazing the first time I saw it but then it started to grow on me--and it looks great in person :) Now that I've read the story however I can see that it fits perfectly with the story.

      Anyway, thanks for commenting Juju ♥

      Delete
  2. When I read this last year, I was stunned by how fabulous it was, and I couldn't imagine why every book blogger wasn't gushing adoration with me!? :) Word of Seraphina's amazingness spread slowly, I guess! So glad to see it getting more attention lately. It's just about the perfect YA fantasy, I think, and it deserves every rave review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk why but I plan on convincing anyone within my reach to read this book!

      Delete
  3. Right? I'm so glad you finally read this one, because it is so freaking awesome! The world building is amazing, I too loved Seraphina, her family, memories, I loved the dragons--she did such an amazing job of writing non-human characters. I really can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I! I'm actually kind of glad that I read it now because the wait for the sequel is a little less longer.

      Delete
  4. This was my second favorite read of 2012 (after Code Name Verity) and I pushed it on a couple of other people who adored it as well. Glad you're getting the word out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I have to read Code Name Verity. I've heard wonders about it!

      YES, Seraphina's going to be one of those books that turn me into a book bully ;D

      Delete