Sunday, January 10, 2010

Give Up The Ghost by Megan Crewe

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Release Date: September 15, 2009
Source: 1 ARC Tours
Language: English

Synopsis: Cass McKenna much prefers ghosts over “breathers.” Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable, and they know the dirt on everybody…and Cass loves dirt. She’s on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of the poseurs in her school.

But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass’s whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her to help him contact his recently deceased mother, and Cass reluctantly agrees.
As Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim’s life, she’s surprised to realize he’s not so bad—and he needs help more desperately than anyone else suspects. Maybe it’s time to give the living another chance….

Give Up The Ghost was an intriguing story that proved to be very refreshing with a main character who dealt with issues that didn't revolve around romance; instead Cass had to learn how to open herself up emotionally to the living and realize that she couldn't always count on ghosts to be there for her. The growing friendship between Cass and Tim was realistic in its pace and best of all, it stayed strictly within the realm of friendship. I feel like so many novels give us a female protagonist that starts out single, meets a boy and quickly the two are attracted to each other. This is a rather predictable formula so it was nice to see Megan Crewe not go down that route with Cass and Tim. (hence the refreshing aspect to this novel) However, I felt like the author could've explained a few things better. There were a few loose ends to the story and sometimes I don't like having to guess what happens-sometimes I want the author to tell me what happened and why. I also would've liked to see more of Cass' ghostly friends since they were mentioned fleetingly (when they did show up, they were very fun and quirky!) I wanted to know more about their past lives and not rely on only what Cass would tell the reader. The hopeful ending made me feel a little bit better but I honestly wanted a little more from the novel. It just didn't have everything nicely constructed the way I usually like as a reader. But that's just my opinion.

Rating: 3.5

10 comments:

  1. Great, honest review! I own this one and cannot wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you about the 3.5 rating!

    Also, you make an awesome point about the relationship between Cass and Tim remaining at a friendship, that doesn't really happen often in a lot of the books I read, it is a nice change! From what I remember though, it seems like Crewe was sort of almost building to a hook-up/make-out session between Cass and Tim, but then I read this book a few months ago so I could be completely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, lovely review. I think I'll definitely read this :) I like novels with ghosts, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the cover. And the general idea of the book. I'm kinda into ghost stories. But I like it a little darker, ya know? Stephen King dark. I love that guy and all his creepiness.
    But I totally understand the whole thing about the romantic aspect having a predictable formula. Sometimes it's nice to have a little change.

    I didn't even think to look on her website to see if there would be a fourth book! Jeez, shows how smart I am. xD It doesn't come out till 2011, though. *wipes tears from face*
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this review, so honest :)

    I meant to read this one but I still haven't got around to it. I really like ghosts though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read this book. It sounds very good, and i love that it's about ghosts. :)
    Great review. Oh yeah, the cover is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I really want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. Like you I wanted some additional backstory on some of the characters. I am not sure if Megan Crewe is planning a sequel to this novel, but I think it would be a great way to tie up some the endings loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, this books sounds sweet. I agree, it's always really refreshing to have a boy-girl relationship that is strictly friendly. Can't wait to read! :D

    Also, Congrats! You've won an award on my blog! http://sparrowreview.blogspot.com/2010/01/humane-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Stephen King's stories can definitely get creepy. And the movies based on his books are creepy as well. Though, in movies, they tend to only show the scary sides of his books. When really, there's so much more going on in the books. ANYWAY. LOL!

    And yes, Nick from Need was definitely cute! xD

    ReplyDelete