Monday, May 3, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (yes, I know it's not Wednesday but so what!)


Fifteen-year-old Grace Manning is a candy striper in a nursing home, and Mr. Sands is the one patient who makes the job bearable. He keeps up with her sarcasm, teaches her to play poker . . . and one day cheerfully asks her to help him die. At first Grace says no way, but as Mr. Sands’s disease progresses, she’s not so sure. Grace tries to avoid the wrenching decision by praying for a miracle, stuffing herself with pancakes, and running away from all feelings, including the new ones she has for her best friend Eric. But Mr. Sands is getting worse, and she can’t avoid him forever. Robin Epstein has delivered an incredibly engaging, thought-provoking debut YA novel, with all the snappy dialogue and attitude of the movie Juno. [Release Date: 5/13/10]

The wait for this one is almost over! I was browsing on Amazon and randomly found this-the cover made me curious and then the actual title (God is in the pancakes? Whaaa?) got me extremely curious.


When a stranger offers her a small fortune to break into a traveling magician’s wagon, Kim doesn’t hesitate. Having grown up a waif in the dirty streets of London, Kim isn’t above a bit of breaking-and-entering. A hard life and lean times have schooled her in one lesson: steal from them before they steal from you. But when the magician catches her in the act, Kim thinks she’s done for. Until he suggests she become his apprentice; then the real trouble begins.

Kim soon finds herself entangled with murderers, thieves, and cloak-and-dagger politics, all while trying to learn how to become both a proper lady and a magician in her own right. Magic and intrigue go hand in hand in Mairelon the Magician and The Magician’s Ward, two fast-paced novels filled with mystery and romance, set against the intricate backdrop of Regency England. [Release Date: 6/8/10]
I spotted this one at Steph Su's. Apparently it's a reissuing of the author's two novels? I didn't know anything about Patricia C. Wrede until now so I'll definetely be checking her books out. I gotta say, the cover for this reissue is fantastic! I fell in love with it on sight! ♥


Jessamine Luxson lives with her father, Thomas, an apothecary, in an isolated cottage near Alnwick Castle. Thomas’s pride and obsession is his locked garden full of dangerous plants, which Jessamine is forbidden to enter. When a traveler brings an orphan to their cottage, he claims the boy has special gifts that Thomas might value. Jessamine is drawn to the strange but intriguing boy, called Weed. Soon their friendship deepens into love. Finally, Weed shares his secret: He can communicate with plants. For him they have distinct personalities—and some are even murderous. From the locked garden the poisonous plants call to Weed, luring him with promises of deadly power.

When Jessamine falls inexplicably ill, only Weed’s relationship with the Poisons can save her. But Thomas is determined to exploit Weed’s abilities, even if it risks Jessamine’s life—or drives Weed to the brink of madness.… [Release Date: 7/20/10]

I saw this one over at La Femme Readers. It looks like there's a sufficient amount of drama going on, ha.

Btw, if you haven't noticed, I'm using block quotes in this post! What do you think? Do we love it? Hate it? Don't give a damn either way? I think it gives the post a neat appearance and the summaries aren't bumping into each other (which always used to bother me but I never knew how to put block quotes so I dealed with it. Meh.)  I'm planning on using block quotes for my reviews now. ;O!

10 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by the pancake one. I can't wait to read some reviews on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Weed one. I definitely want to read that one. Talking to plants, that is a new one. I like the blockquotes, also. So what's with the Wednesday on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is in the Pancakes looks amazing! I wonder why it hasn't gotten more buzz! This was the first time I've heard of it, and it's coming out very soon.
    A Matter of Magic looks good, with the perfect cover and great synopsis.
    The Poison Diaries looks fun, but kind of scary. Creepy, I guess, is a better word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That title is just so fun, 'God is in the Pancakes'! I'm looking forward to your review for it and I'm adding it to my tbr list. The other two books look really good.

    The blockquotes are great! I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You haven't read Dealing with Dragons by Wrede? Oh, go look for it immediately! It is one of the first books I know about that took the fairy tale tropes and turned them on their head. This unconvential princess runs away to be a dragon's princess because she doesn't want to marry a prince. It was both cute and funny. There are 4 books in that series (all with Dragons in the title). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice picks! I LOVE the cover, and summary, of A Matter of Magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Block quotes! Very cool. How'd you do that? I haven't figured that out yet.

    Poison Diaries sounds intriguing, even though I'm not a huge fan of the cover. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome picks! These look totally engrossing and original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books! Love the block quotes - how did you do it? I've been trying to figure it out myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot about the Poison Diaries. I'm curious and really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete