Thursday, June 24, 2010

In My Mailbox 30

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme where you get to show off all the cool books you receive! This meme was inspired by Alea and memefied by Kristi.

Erm, so I've been M.I.A. again. I'm sorry about that... I promise that I'll have a review up this weekend. *girl scout honor....even though I was never a girl scout. Oh, you get the point.* This IMM stash is from the last two (three?) weeks...

Borrowed from a friend:
There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four-year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. With her life about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon.

But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all—the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug—of all people—suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them? Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her. Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life—a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug.

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.” Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons.

A huge thanks to my friend and fellow blogger, Kari, for lending these out to me. I'll take good care of them, I promise! ♥

Given to me by another friend :)
Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a ReplacementÑleft in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when TateÕs baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

Edward Scissorhands meets The Catcher in the Rye in this wildly imaginative and frighteningly beautiful horror novel about an unusual boy and his search for a place to belong.
When I was at BEA, I met and befriended the lovely Emily from Red House Books. She remembered me mentioning that I wanted to read Brenna Yovanoff's The Replacement and got me an extra copy-squee! :)

Won from a contest:
Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan’s band playing a crucial gig and Aura’s plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend’s life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan’s sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He’s gone. Well, sort of. Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and talk to ghosts. This mysterious ability had always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan’s violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because Dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost. It doesn’t help that Aura’s new friend Zachary is so understanding — and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura’s relationship with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura’s heart . . . and clues to the secret of the Shift.
Mel from He Followed Me Home hosted a Shade-themed week over at her blog and I was the lucky winner of a brand new hardback of Shade. Thanks again, Mel! ♥

11 comments:

  1. Ok I'm like so totally jealous of Forget You and Hunger! I'd be jealous of Shade too but I also won a copy and am waiting to get mine. :P Hope you enjoy your books girl. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I've been missing your posts. Perhaps that'll guilt trip you into staying? Haha, jk, but it's nice to see you back! This reminds me that I should go bug my friends 'til they lend me some books- Forget You sounds wonderful, and I really want to learn more about Hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to Hunger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have two things to say:

    1. I love your blog, and your header!

    2. I want your friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all sound really good! Especially Forget You and The Replacement. I saw the cover and immediately thought of Edward Scissorhands. xD I love that movie.
    Happy Reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got The Replacement. I can't wait to start reading it. Maybe we can read it together and share our thoughts?
    I've been in a bloggy slump too...so many reviews to post...it will get done though :)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really want to read forget you it looks awesome! and hey i never got to catch up with ya it was lovely talking to Brenda you Kari and the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! Cool books! I can't wait to see the reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, nice books, Sandy!

    Forget You sounds awesome, you'll have to tell me what you think of it. I absolutely adored Going Too Far.

    Hunger sounds a little weird to me. I can't see it having a happy ending, considering that she's one of the four horseman. It certainly sounds... interesting.

    I LOVE The Replacement's cover. It sufficiently creeps me out. xD

    ReplyDelete