Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mini-review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: September 21, 2010
Source: Gift from a friend :)
Synopsis: Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.
I had my doubts about this book. The cover originally creeped me out (it has a very Tim Burton-esque feel to it doesn't it?) and I was not sure if this was going to be my type of read. But as soon as I met Mackie, my doubts vanished. I LOVED Mackie's character (I would totally hug him-and maybe make him a sandwich or two). He may be quiet and tortured but when the situation calls for it, he's there for you and then some! I also loved his sister Emma because it's clear that no matter what he is, she still adores her little brother and is extremely loyal to him. Yovanoff's writing had a special type of quality: it had this tinge of sadness mingled with hope and there were moments that her characters had that, if read closely, are hauntingly poetic.

Final verdict: I really, really, really liked this book. Like the book cover, Mackie's hometown of Gentry had this Tim Burton vibe that screamed ominous and while I wouldn't want to live there, I wouldn't mind visiting it if Mackie showed me around ;) I liked how Mackie is technically a changeling but you never picture him as a fairy. o.O  The Replacement has a creepy cast of characters, a sweetly tragic main character to root for and it asks a very chilling (and relevant) question: what happens when you don't know who you are?

Clickables: {main site} {merry sisters of fate} {twitter} {blog}

Creeptastic book trailer:


Many, many thanks to my friend Emily for thinking of me when she first saw this book. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment