Thursday, April 28, 2011

Have you read UNBROKEN?

I'm not a big fan of nonfiction but one of my courses this semester made it mandatory that I read certain nonfiction/travel guides. I briefly mentioned one of these novels in a Friday Five post a few days ago and now I'm taking the time to mention another one of those books I was under obligation to read. If I didn't have to write four papers on this book, I never would've read it on my own. (I finished writing those four papers if you')

Laura Hillenbrand's UNBROKEN tells the story of Louie Zamperini, a man who was clearly destined for great things. I won't bore you with many details but I have to say, reading about Louie's life (from when he was a boy to when he became an airman in the war) was incredible. The things that this man went through in order to SURVIVE... I can't even fathom it. I don't want to spoil the book by explaining what went on but I wanted to mention it on the blog because I honestly believe that people should read this book. I enjoyed it immensely; it gave me chills, it gave me knowledge of a war that I knew little to nothing about and ultimately, it gave me a deep appreciation for the men who risked their lives in order to serve their country. And since I can never read a novel without a critical eye, I have to commend Hillenbrand on how incredibly well-written and researched this book was. Her writing ability is astounding, to say the least.  

I'll end this long rambling of mine by posting the book trailer for UNBROKEN. It's such a powerful story and Laura Hillenbrand's narrative lends itself beautifully; if you see it at the library, I recommend picking it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment