Friday, June 17, 2011

Mini-review: The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner

Release Date: May 10th, 2011
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Source: Bought at Gae's release party :)
While Nick Gardner’s family is falling apart, his best friend, Scooter, is dying from a freak disease. The Scoot’s final wish is that Nick and their quirky classmate, Jaycee Amato, deliver a prized first-edition copy of Of Mice and Men to the Scoot’s father. There’s just one problem: the Scoot’s father walked out years ago and hasn’t been heard from since. So, guided by Steinbeck’s life lessons, and with only the vaguest of plans, Nick and Jaycee set off to find him.
Characters you’ll want to become friends with and a narrative voice that sparkles with wit make this a truly original coming-of-age story. [from goodreads]

What I enjoyed the most about The Pull of Gravity was Nick's voice. I thought Gae did a really great job with capturing a boyish tone so that Nick actually sounded like the teenage boy that he was. The tone of Nick's thoughts and feelings felt completely natural as the story progressed.

Jaycee & the Scoot were a quirky pair of characters but they were funny and awesome. The Scoot had that Yoda-like wisdom and made sure to have fun and be himself despite his disease so I admired him for his bravery... and I'll admit I felt slightly envious of Jaycee since she had--plainly speaking here--the balls to just  be herself. Nothing really brought her down...I would've liked to have been as outspoken and adventurous as she was when I was her age (I would've even tried out her fashion choices).  I also really liked Nick's relationship with his older brother, Jeremy. They didn't always like each other but they had each other's backs---as brothers should :) And then there's Nick's father. Oh, Nick's dad. You had my sympathy and then you had to go and do what ya did.... I still liked the man but once the truth was revealed? Brutal. I felt just as mixed up as Nick.

Final Verdict: The Pull of Gravity was a solid read and I would totally recommend it to anyone who's looking for a quick read full of warmth and originality. Nick's voice had me sold since it sounded genuine but I will say that the overall tone of the novel had a slightly more youthful vibe--Nick & his friends were teens but they were around fourteen or fifteen so there aren't any intense scenes full of swear words or fist fights. I still had a blast reading the book though :) It was emotional and distinctive. Oh, and I can't forget that scene with the cherry cola---I didn't think much of it until Gae connected the dots and made it apparent. That was very, very clever.


Official Book Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment