Monday, September 3, 2012

In a Fix by Linda Grimes

Publisher: Tor
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Source: NetGalley (thank you!)


Snagging a marriage proposal for her client while on an all-expenses-paid vacation should be a simple job for Ciel Halligan, aura adaptor extraordinaire. But when her island resort bungalow is blown to smithereens and her client’s about-to-be fiancé is snatched by modern-day Vikings, Ciel begins to suspect that getting the ring is going to be a tad more difficult than originally anticipated.

Going from romance to rescue requires some serious gear-shifting as well as a little backup. Her best friend, Billy, and Mark, the CIA agent she's been crushing on for years—both skilled adaptors—step in to help, but their priority is, annoyingly, keeping her safe. Before long, Ciel is dedicating more energy to escaping their watchful eyes than she is to saving her client's intended.

Review: Are you surprised that this is a review for an urban fantasy novel? Nope, me either. Let's get to it then! I've taken very quickly to the UF genre and found some great reads but Linda Grimes' debut is one that I truly loved because it's a well-written story done right.

I always start my reviews with my feelings toward the main character and I usually like them well enough. But I didn't just like Ciel Halligan, I freaking adored her. Her character leaps off the page and if only she were real! I'd totally take her out for drinks or something. Whatever Ciel does, she gives it her all. That type of determination is admirable (even if it lands her in situations that she could've avoided) and along with her penchant for getting into dangerous scenarios...well, you can't help but root for her. And pray that she makes it out okay. But thankfully she has Billy and Mark for back-up and omgoodness they are amazing. Both of these guys are great and AUGH even now I'm feeling pain for Ciel--how is she going to choose?! My money's on Billy right now but you never know. Linda Grimes packed some major swoon into this book and I am anxiously waiting to see what else she has in store for Ciel in the romance department.

As for the story, it's so kooky and fun but still plausible. I mean, I didn't know what to expect with the whole modern-day Vikings thing but Grimes made it work fabulously. I had no idea where she'd take it but it went to some great places xD I also liked the concept of adaptors--they're not shapeshifters (Ciel exclaims this to be impossible early on) but instead they acquire people's auras. <--brilliance. Being an adaptor means being able to change into anyone you want (after getting their aura) and you can even change physical aspects about yourself if you'd like. I nodded my head in approval once Ciel explained how she used her ability for profit by creating her own business to solve people's "personal problems". Smart lady :)

Final Verdict: Love it, love it, love it. So much. In a Fix is the first book in this series and I see myself sticking to it all the way through. I'm smiling right now just thinking about this story: I honestly found no faults whatsoever with In a Fix and I will gladly put my pirate penguin-y seal of approval on it. I find myself unable to resist Linda Grimes' witty, vibrant writing coupled with her well-rounded, hilarious characters that go on some crazy awesome adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment