Wednesday, February 19, 2014

update and two mini reviews

this accurately describes my life atm.
So student teaching happened. It's been a messy, hectic and happy process so far and my time has been consumed with creating lessons for my students (!!!) while also scurrying around outside of school to do homework for weekly seminar. About teaching. So yeah, there is very little time for fun reading. -_-  It's rather nice but I still feel strange pulling out my red pen to GRADE people. Like woah.

But I did want to talk about two books I read so I'll do it in the form of mini's. Here goes!


Release Date: July 24th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Library

The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia…

Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper—

The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.

And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother.

Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.
 
super short mini: I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. Like, so so much. A friend of mine kept pushing me to read this and I finally did and I need to go buy her some chocolate for being such a good friend. Where to even begin? I loved Eleanor as a protagonist, I thought Dennard did a kickass job at world-building and omgigoodness, she does not hold back--Eleanor goes through some major situations and sacrifices. No one is left unscathed in this first book and I really appreciated that from the author. It made for some scary scenes that I couldn't. Stop. Reading. The zombies in this one were terrifying, my friends. As for Daniel Sheridan, I wasn't wowed by him at first but at some point in the story, he won me over. It might have been that dynamite scene in the story. (You'll have to read to know what I'm talking about!) I'm rooting for these two kids to have their HEA. They deserve it.
 
So A+, Susan Dennard.
 
Hopefully I'll have time to write a more coherent review in the near future.
 
 
Release Date: May 28th, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Library
 
If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....
 
super short mini: Liked this one, but didn't fall in love with it. I'm not sure why but I didn't click with these two like I did with Echo and Noah. I admit that I actually found the secondary characters more compelling than the protagonists. But either way, I'm not blind to the fact that Katie McGarry is an amazing writer and knows how to craft some pretty realistic characters and scenarios. I didn't fall in love with Ryan or Beth but I'm glad that they fell for each other :) He really is the knight in shining armor that Beth has always needed. As for Isaiah, SIGH I am excited to read his story and see who he falls for*. Bonus: Noah and Echo show up in this story and SQUEE ♥ 
 
*Um, I know some people were upset with the fact that Isaiah and Beth were not going to be together--I was originally a fan of them together in Pushing the Limits--but after reading this story, I'm glad Beth stuck with Ryan. Isaiah needs someone right for him and Beth could never be that. ;P

2 comments:

  1. I didn't like Dare You To, didn't like Beth one bit, and Ryan was only ok, not swoony,
    I'll try to check out the other book, Sandy-belle, since you like it so much.

    Also, you just wait until you finish the ink on your first grading pen, it's a milestone. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth grated on my nerves but now that I've been in her head I can understand her better. I got used to her. As for Ryan, yeah he wasn't swoony imo but he wasn't terrible. He just doesn't compare to Noah (or Isaiah I suspect!)

      YES PLEASE DO.

      Hehe, true dat ;)

      Delete