Sunday, August 3, 2014

discussion post: are you a fan of booktube?

I discovered booktube around April or May of this year and I had no clue of its existence. From what I can gather, booktubers have been around for at least a year but the community has now exploded. If you don't know what booktube is, it's basically people reviewing books in vlog format. 



Personally, I'm a fan of booktube and I'm subscribed to a few channels. There are some vloggers who have really great personalities and their enthusiasm for reading is contagious! Much like book blogs, a lot of these vloggers have recommended books that are now on my radar.The majority of the booktubers that I watch are in English but there are some Spanish vloggers that are fun too. I've also noticed that booktube has followed the same pattern as book blogging: YA continues to be the genre that is most read, there are the usual features that we see (like IMM/book hauls, wrap ups, interviews, etc.), and of course the drama llamas that occasionally popped up in the blogosphere have also made appearances in booktube. 

But despite that, I feel like this community of booktubers has a lot to offer and hey, anything that makes people read more books gets my support. I've considered throwing my hat into the arena but I hesitate partly because I'm camera shy and if I plan on teaching, my "online presence" has to be very PG. But anyway. I'm all for booktube! What are your feelings on booktube? Yay or nay? Did you know about it already? Are you a booktuber? If so, how do you find it different from traditional blogging? 

6 comments:

  1. I actually haven't checked out booktubers yet...I've heard about them, but I don't spend a lot of time on YouTube. I'll have to check out a video soon. Any recommendations for which channels to check out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polandbananabooks is my favorite! But theirs also jessethereader, arielbissett and peruseproject who are awesome too!

      Delete
  2. I love Booktube! I spend TOO much time on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't. I just can't seem to make time for it. I love the concept though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow a few book tubers, but I don't know, it's really a more case by case thing, or if I'm interesting in a particular review. I like the idea of it, but sometimes I find these channels and it's all book hauls and wrap ups and no reviews, :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some channels are mostly fluff but there are some pretty good channels too. I agree though, it can be a case by case thing.... I follow a few channels and they almost always upload just as many reviews as they do hauls or wrap ups.

      Delete